No (sham) Poo Update!


Foam bath bottle

Just wanted to drop by and tell you how my No Poo experiment is going. I have to admit there have been many times I miss my happy bubbles that are the result of commercial shampoo. Times when I want that silky smooth feel that commercial conditioner leaves after you rinse it out. Using baking soda and apple cider vinegar does neither of these things. But it is a VERY cheap option for hair care and removes all weird chemicals and harsh additives from your hair care routine!

I think my transition period was about three weeks or so. I'm not really sure if it was a transition period for my hair or my brain. It did take a little bit to figure out how best to wash my hair this way. At first I had a bit of an itchy scalp. I did some research and discovered adding some tea tree oil to the "shampoo" bottle would help. I haven't done this yet, honestly I think my problem was not getting the baking soda mix everywhere. The baking soda absorbs oil and dirt. I switched to getting my hair wet with the baking soda mix first instead doing this first with the shower head. This way I knew what had "shampoo" on it and what didn't. This helped immensely with the itchy scalp problem. Second problem I encountered was my hair feeling oily and heavy shortly after showering. After further reading I found that the problem may have been that I was using too much apple cider vinegar mix! What I read suggested spraying it only on the ends of your hair. I have extremely short hair, so this was difficult!! But since ACV is what makes your hair super shiny I now spray the ends and a quick spritz to the top of my head, the area that shows the most! This probably addressed my third problem as well. I felt my hair was dull and brassy, but after figuring out how ACV works it seemed to solve the problem. I discussed what I was using with my hairdresser, she confirmed how amazing ACV is for hair!

If anyone out there is considering this I highly recommend it! Just make sure you realize it may take some time to get it just right. There are many suggestions of containers to use to dispense your  mixes, since they are mostly water I use spray bottles and really I think this is the easiest way to do it! At first my husband was very concerned about the vinegar smell in the bathroom, but it is only really noticeable when you first spray it on. I also added a few drops of doTerra Wild Orange essential oil to both the baking soda mix and the ACV mix to give it a happy smell. I will admit there have been times when I want to resort back to the happy bubbles but I think I have finally found my own happy place with this method!

Any one out there trying this or about to start?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am at the itchy scalp stage:) I was so hoping that was common! It took a bit longer for me to try the switch due to the hair color issue; mine is red-> the hardest color to retain and I was unsure about the effects baking soda and ACV might have with the many chemicals in boxed hair color, so I waited a few weeks. I am pleased to say that I liked the switch. Yes, it is very weird not having the lather and fragrances but I love my hair! I think I will look into natural hair colors or hennas now because I am not yet willing to let my grey ones out to see the world. Thanks for the update! As of now, my friends are all very interested in this and although they are watching me closely, they have yet to get to the switching point!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear someone else's input. I don't have colored hair but noticed my hair seemed lighter in the first few weeks. I guess this is due to the new method striping the buildup from my hair. Now my color seems back to normal... did it affect your color? I'm interested to know! I had friends tell me they wouldn't try the method due to colored hair.

Anonymous said...

I waited for 2 weeks after coloring it. This is about the time the bubbles stop being sooo pink. But since there are no bubbles with my new regime it's harder to tell. I have not noticed it fading at all though and I do not wash my hair every day. With shampoo I was washing every 3rd day and by day 3 it was well needed! But now on the 3rd day it looks like the 1st day. I still wash it anyway since it is summer and hot but I am thinking by winter I can prolong it some. I will let you know what happens when I redo my color in a few weeks or so.

Post a Comment