Gluten Sugar and Dairy Free Breakfast "Cookies"

I have spent quite a bit of time lately searching for a good homemade replacement for my son's favorite cereal bars (the Kashi strawberry are his favorite). Everything I found online seemed like it had too much sweetener, even if it was honey, for me to feel comfortable giving it to him as a breakfast bar. Or they had protein powder in the recipe, usually most protein powders have artificial sweeteners or the better ones on the market have real sugar, but there again I wanted something that tasted good with real whole ingredients and no sugar! After playing with a few ideas and adding my own twist I think I finally have found the recipe our whole family loves. A close friend told me I should start selling these things because they are just that good. But they are so simple to make yourself, I thought I would just share my recipe with you instead.

Liam's GSD Free Bars
(I usually double this recipe as these tend to disappear fast in our house)

1 banana
1/3 c. almond butter (read more about the almond butter I buy below)
2/3 c. applesauce
1 tsp. cinnamon (more or less to your liking)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. raisins (optional of course)
1 1/2 c. certified gluten free oats

Preheat oven to 350
Mash banana until smooth and all the chunks are gone. If you have a dark brown banana they tend to mash bet Add almond butter, my local Fred Meyer store has a grinder to make your own almond butter. The grinder is just loaded with almonds, nothing more is added to this almond butter. It comes out smooth and delicious just the way it is. This is my favorite almond butter to use for us and especially with how many my kiddo eats. Then I add the applesauce, this helps dilute the almond butter and mix it in more easily. Add the vanilla and cinnamon. This is where you can customize it to your tastes! I add raisins because we love oatmeal raisin cookies, but you could add nuts or other dried fruit if you want! Add the oats last and mix well so that the oats get wet equally. Let sit for about 10 minutes or more so that the oats can absorb the moisture. Measure out the dough as you would with any cookie and place each one on a greased cookie sheet. These do not spread as they cook, so press them down a little. My son has a hard time with a round shaped cookie, so I form these into rectangle shapes, or bars that he has an easier time with. Since these cookies do not spread you can form them into just about any shape you like! Cooking time will vary depending on your preference, for us we like a chewier cookie so we cook them for about 15-18 minutes. If you want them a little crunchier cook them a little longer. These need to be stored in an airtight container, and if you like them chewier like we do you will probably want to store them in the fridge. Left out the moisture tends to let them mold quicker than the average cookie/bar.

My two year old loves these and is constantly asking for another "cookie." I usually hesitate at the word cookie and try to get him to eat something "healthier" like a banana or some applesauce. Wait, what did I just say? These cookies are the healthiest snack in our house! They are loaded with protein and fiber and taste like any other processed and packaged cookie or bar you could buy. Sometimes the word cookie throws me! I hope you and your family enjoys them as much as we do!



No comments:

Post a Comment