Chemical Free Cleaning


clean home 2

If your anything like me, you are aware of the nasty chemicals hiding in the most popular products. For example, a simple bottle of window, kitchen or multipurpose cleaners usually contain 2-Butoxyethanol, a nasty little ingredient that gives it that sweet smell. This ingredient falls in the catagory of glycol-ethers. Inhalation of the cleaning product can result in sore throat, but that's not all. According to the EPA at high leverls glycol ethers can also contribute to narcosis (unconsciousness due to a narcotic drug), pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs), and even severe liver and kidney damage. And what about the not so hidden toxic chemicals used for cleaning, like chlorine? Chlorine is usually found in scouring powders, laundry whiteners, and even household drinking water. We are exposed to chlorine so much throughout an average day, since it is used in city water to kill bacteria we are probably drinking it and even bathing in it chlorine. Chlorine has been found to be a mild respiratory irritant And while the impact of chlorine may seem small, the impact of mass exposure could cause major havoc, even possibly as a thyroid disruptor.

So with this information perhaps you are like me, you decide to get rid of all the chemicals in your household. When I started this thought I first turned to company's that created chemical free cleaning products as replacements for items I was already using. First I started with Melaleuca's thyme based cleaner Sol-U-Guard. I was excited to use the amazing power of thyme in my bathroom. I have to be honest, cleaning the bathroom only to leave it smelling of spaghetti herbs was not my favorite. I missed the clean smell of bleach that has been ingrained as the appropriate disinfectant smell. I needed to find a different solution. After a few trial and errors, I discovered that these chemical free replacements were breaking the bank! So after further research I found a few cheap cleaning supplies that I already had in the house.

My first favorite tool is a micro-fiber cloth. These inexpensive rags are so versatile in cleaning. Just getting this rag wet it can be used to wipe down mirrors, counters, stainless steel appliances, and even floors while leaving a clean streak free finish! I have a pre-finished wood floor, and even my favorite Method floor cleaning didn't leave this mirror like floor looking clean. A simple wet micro-fiber rag did the trick better than any expensive cleaner! Another favorite I always keep around is vinegar. Distilled white vinegar can be used in many applications around the house. I usually put it in the dishwasher to help my glasses get a perfect shine. It also can be used with baking soda to scrub toilets and showers, even counters. Hydrogen peroxide is an amazing stain remover. It can remove even the trickiest stains like red wine and blood. I use it regularly on our cloth furniture to remove general food spills.

Finding a solution for your chemical free cleaning can be as easy as looking in your pantry. Have a favorite cleaning solution you want to share? Leave your comments below or share it on our Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/juicingmyms

No comments:

Post a Comment